To my dear, sweet, little Dexter.
Today is your first birthday. Part of me is very sad that you’re not a baby any more, but mostly I’m so excited to see what an awesome little dude you’re turning out to be. There isn’t a day that goes by that you don’t make me beam with pride. These last 12 months have been the best 12 months of my life and you make Mummy and Daddy very happy.
There are so many things you can do or have done and I don’t want to forget your little milestones so I’m sharing them with you here so that when you are old enough, you can see them too.
So, at aged 12 months…
- You weigh 10kg/22lb.
- You sleep all night through very well and have done since 7 months. (You did do it from 4 months but then you started teething)
- You eat very well (normally) and like to feed yourself. Your favourite food is a good old fashioned roast dinner. You eat 3 meals and have 1 and a half bottles of milk a day. You were breastfed for 11 months.
- You have 8 teeth. You are also very dribbley at the moment so we suspect one of your bigger teeth might be on its way.
- You have 3 nicknames… Dextersaurus, Smushy and Bubba.
- When asked, you can put your hands up so that we can undress you, clap your hands, wave, throw your ball, shake (noisy) things and point to various things too such as ducks, ball, trees, cat, dog etc.
- You can say Mum, Dad-dad, cat, ta, oodut (you do it) and you can also sign for milk and all gone.
- You love chasing the cat around the living room. You also love being chased around the living room yourself.
- Your 2 best friends are Jake and Ellie. Mummy use to work with Ellie’s Mum and we met Jake and his Mum at baby club.
- You are very quick at crawling and cruise around the living room with your walker or along the furniture. You also like to climb on things if you can and you’ve worked out how to get up the stairs.
- Currently, you refuse to lie still for a nappy change and you are enjoying the ‘take-all-of-my-food-out-of-my-mouth’ stage.
- Like me, you are not bothered by mess… in fact, you love it. Messy play is tremendous fun.
- You love cuddles from mummy and if I’m lucky, sometimes I get a kiss. Nobody else does though.
- You love to go outside. Especially to the swings or out on the grass. Nanny and Granddad have got you swing for your first birthday so soon you’ll be able to play on it as much as you like.
- You can scribble with crayons and pens. You can post things in holes and you try very hard to put your socks on(you can actually get your toes in by yourself) You can brush your hair and make a good effort at brushing your teeth. You also try and dress yourself by putting your clothes on your head. I know what you’re trying to do, haha.
- On your adventures so far, you have been to the zoo where you saw lots of animals. You have also been to A&E when you decided to take a tumble off our bed. You have been swimming a couple of times and also really enjoyed a trip to see Santa at Christmas.
- Some of your favourite things to play with are Mummy’s phone, keys, cars, stacking cups, socks and your tub of straws.
- You cant quite walk yet but yesterday, the day before your birthday, you did a fair bit of letting go of Mummy and Daddy and standing on your own. You also took a step and a half. We were so proud. Mummy almost cried. I hope you do some more of that today.
Those are just some of the amazing things you’ve done this year. Of course you’ve done lots of other things too. For example, when you were 7 months old, Mummy and Daddy’s got married. You looked gorgeous in your jeans, shirt and waist jacket. You were so well behaved the entire day. You didn’t fuss one single bit. In fact, you are always well behaved. I never have to worry about how you will act. You’ve never had a temper tantrum or a hissy fit in public. Or at home for that matter. You are always, ALWAYS smiley. You are such a happy baby. You do this cute little head slant thing and tuck your head into your shoulder when you go shy. It’s adorable.
I love the way you eat your food. you hold it between your finger and thumb and you have your little pinky up and when the food doesn’t quite go where you aim it, you open up your hand and manoeuvre it into your mouth with your entire palm.
You can be rather clumsy at times. While you’re learning how to get about, you are constantly bashing in to things. Like, today you have a big mark on your head that will show in all of your birthday pictures. I don’t always pick you up when you fall. Mostly, you’re ok and just carry on like nothing happened but occasionally there are tears and you’ll need a super cuddle to make you feel better.
You have the most beautiful eyes and lovely long eyelashes. I love watching you when you concentrate on something. You really focus on working things out. Sometimes I just sit and watch you and I’m amazed every time you discover something new and how delighted you are with it.
I asked Daddy to name some of his favourite things that you do and straight away he said your smile. I have to agree. It’s very infectious. I just wanna squish you when you have that cheeky grin all over your face. It’s especially beautiful in the morning when we come into your room and you’re stood in your cot, waiting for us. The first time you smiled at me absolutely melted my heart. I cried. It was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen. I tried to wake your Daddy up to show him but you’d gone back to sleep by then.
I love how you were born with a Mohawk. People think I’ve styled your hair that way… But you were born that cool!
Anyway, I could spend hours writing a million and one things that I love about you and what you’ve learnt but today is your day and I (we) intend to spoil you and have lots of fun with you. We’ll play with your new toys, we’ll eat cake and maybe you’ll have some visitors too.
Dexter Blake, We love you so much and want you to know that we always will. We hope you have a fantastic first birthday and have all the fun in the world. You’ve made our lives so much happier than they already were. We cant wait to see what your second year brings but no matter how old you get, you will always be our little boy.
Loving you always Smushy,
Mum and Dad
* * * * *
Linking up with