To my precious Little Lady,
Today is your very first birthday. Yesterday, I watched you sleep on Daddy’s lap and I was surprised at how big you were, how much room you took up. It’s like you’ve grown in the blink of an eye. Where did that time go?
I’m amazed at how well you are developing. You learn things so quickly and you are so cheeky! We were playing snap with Dexter today and you wanted to join in so you kept smacking the table to claim your round. You funny thing!
At aged 12 months…
- You currently sleep in our bed and sleep most of the night through, only waking if you get cold or can’t feel me near you.
- You eat and feed yourself amazingly well! You don’t have a favourite food but there certainly isn’t much that you don’t like! You are still breastfed with the occasional bottle of full fat milk in the evening.
- You have 10 teeth but you’re a bit bitey lately so possibly growing some more in there. You enjoy brushing your teeth and think its funny when Dexter does his.
- When asked, you can swap hands if you are holding something and we need to get your arm in a sleeve. You can clap your hands, wave, throw your ball/cup/food etc, shake (noisy) things and point to a few things like your cup (when you’ve thrown it), Dexter, Daddy, a cat. You can also cover your mouth and say ohhh
- You can say, Dada, Detderr, wassat, and Ahhhhhhh-Dah (which is ahhhh, boo!) You’ve said Mama twice so that may have been a fluke.
- You love being chased. If I say “I’ll get you….” you turn and crawl away super fast and giggle.
- You happily cruise around the living room and you can now let go of things and stand alone. You also walk about 6 or 7 steps without falling over. You’re super cute at it too.
- You can climb the stairs and think you’re hilarious at doing it. You’re not!
- You have a thing for toilets. The doors have to be shut and the lids of the seats down, otherwise, it takes a split second for you to notice and you’ve got your hands down them exploring. So gross!
- You absolutely refuse to lie still for bum changes unless you are being distracted.
- You love cuddles and often sit still on peoples lap just watching everything else going on.
- When in your stroller, you hate being parent facing. You’re too nosey. You want to know whats going on.
- You can scribble with crayons.
- You make a valiant attempt at dressing yourself. With any clothing you can find, whatever it is. Sometimes you get in on your head. Sometimes not.
Your most favourite person in the world is clearly your brother. Dexter makes you laugh so much. As you get older, you two will be thick as thieves. You do annoy each other slightly too. You always knock down whatever he’s building and pull his hair and he hasn’t quite got the whole sharing thing down so there are moments when you scream at each other but it’s mostly love.
You’re so well behaved when we go out. You are zero trouble. We went to Duxford in May and you were amazing for the whole day. If we eat out anywhere you eat so well. And you play boo like its the best thing ever. (of course when you do it, it is!)
You’ve never been sick. You weren’t a sicky baby as a new born and have never been sick as you’ve grown. Your first feed was a perfect latch in the hospital and you’ve been amazing since. We’ve barely had to use muslins at all and you’ve almost never worn a bib.
Your brother was our first baby and we learnt so much but with you, we’ve learnt so much more. I’ve learned about babywearing, I’ve got so much better at breastfeeding, I’ve got massively more confident and can happily now tell people to stop sticking their noses in and the only time we’ve seen the health visitors was last week to get her weighed specifically for this post. (Which was actually as much as waste of time as I knew it would be – We didn’t even get a weight!)
Paisley Niamh, We think you’re bloody awesome. Right now you’re toddling around our room so confidently, holding on to Dexter. I can’t wait for you to open your pressies and see all your family later. We hope you have a wonderful first birthday and many more to come. You’re our little blue eyed beauty.