Dexter loves the garden. We all do really but especially him. He loves every opportunity to get out there and never wants to come back in.
I love that he enjoys it and and he plays quite independently so I can get on with all those mundane adulty chores that we all so love and adore.
When I play out there with him, we paint water pictures or draw with chalk on the 4 slabs we have, we grow things and we play in the sand or I push him on the swing, but I cant help feeling that our garden could be better.
I mean, seriously, look at it!! Its not very pretty in the slightest. (I could’ve tidied it before taking these pictures but then I would be giving you a misrepresentation.. and I don’t tell fibs hahaha)
Firstly its not very big at all. With decking at one end and gravel at the other, it doesn’t leave much actual play room. The swing takes up one whole corner and then we’ve attempted to build a teepee in another corner.
The grass had certainly seen better days and the sheds are awful.
I’ve been thinking a lot lately about what I would do if I had more money or space but as I have neither, these are some things I would like doing the this current wasteland….
1. Some sort of den or playhouse type thing for Dexter. I bodged together a sort of teepee shape thing with garden canes and old torn up fabric and we are currently growing some beans to grow up it to shelter it but it isn’t very roomy inside so I’ve no objections to starting again with something a bit better.
2. A dedicated water/sand play area. We currently have a water table so would like to get that used again in the summer.
The grass needs cutting, weeding, feeding and gaps filling in with new seed. This also needs regular maintenance, unlike last year!
3. I would like some bug houses and bee/butterfly friendly plants so that we can experience a bit more nature in our garden and Dexter will get to learn the importance of bees and mini beasts and what important jobs they all do (the plants that we choose would need to also be good in shaded areas as the border doesn’t get much direct sunlight).
4. We used to keep chickens and I would love to have some more, for many reasons. Its important to me that Dexter understands where food comes from. Fresh eggs are delicious and he can enjoy collecting them each morning.
5. A better way of storing our bikes and Dexters toys would be amazing but I don’t really want more sheds. Perhaps they could go underneath some sort of play house or something.
6. The pallets need removing or breaking down or something doing with them (suggestions welcome). I originally planned to make a music area like the ones all over Pinterest but we never got that far. At the most, I tied some temporary guttering on them to let balls drop through but that got very boring very quickly and then got left to pile junk on top of, including his bath time bubble whale thing.
7. I also want the garden to function as a space for adults too. We have a chimnea but we would definitely benefit from a barbecue area and some new garden furniture that isn’t falling apart.
So what do you think? Am I hoping for too much from this little space? Do you have any suggestions on what we can do? Please tell me! I would love to eventually write a whole new post about how amazing our garden is and how well it functions so feel free to share with me any ideas you might have. Also, I’m very interested in what your gardens look like so please show me. You can find me on all the common social medias so would love to hear from you in any form.
* * * * *