Many people have personal challenges they would like to achieve. Some to stop smoking, some like to do Dry-January or Mo-vember, some to run a marathon or do a skydive. This month I am doing Blog-tober. Throughout October, I will be publishing a new blog post every day. One day, I hope to be able to make a living from this blog. Not be mega rich (although it would be nice) but earn enough to be comfortable. When I’m not writing it, I’m thinking about it. When I’m not ramming my posts down my friends and family’s throats, I’m trying my damnedest to promote it everywhere else. I’m very sentimental about it. Sometimes, I take it personally when people I know and love don’t read it. But when a stranger recognises me from it and tells me that they follow it, I literally want to sing and dance and cry all at once.
There are a number of bloggers taking part in Blogtober and I’m sure if you have a quick search on twitter you’ll spot some of them. Each day has a writing prompt to follow and some of them are easier than others. Some of them I know exactly what I will write… Some of them are causing me to seriously scratch my head. And allll of them are taking a lot of work and planning.
Today’s prompt was a fairly easy one… ‘All about me’. If you already read my blog, you’ll know the basics. Mum of three, married, living in Peterborough etc, blah blah blah.. But just the other day, a friend of mine said “you’ll always be weird but that’s why I like you!” so based on that, here are some things you perhaps didn’t know.
- I wear odd socks almost every day.
- I always hold the door open if somebody behind me is going through the same door. It really narks me when people don’t say thank you. MANNERS ARE FREE, PEOPLE!
- I’m a child of the 80’s. I love 80’s music but strangely shit at 80’s movie trivia. Mention a film & I probably haven’t seen it.
- I was obsessed with green for a very long time but currently, I live in my new red boots
- I own 3 pairs flip flops. I never wear them. Ever.
- I doodle on things allllll the time .
- Christmas is my favourite holiday. To the point of obsession. Decorations go up in November and my tree has to be immaculate. I own more Christmas jumpers, t-shirts, socks and pjs than all of my other clothes.
- I can do cartwheels.
- I can do a handstand underwater.
- I can hula hoop. Rather well actually. My hips don’t lie… apparently! Haha..
- My eyes change colour. Sometimes they are brown, sometimes more green.
- I hate talking on the phone to people yet somehow, this has been my job for almost 10 years!
- I have 3 tattoos. One of which is a cabbage on my wrist.
- I’m very passionate. I go from 0 to obsessed in seconds. I can’t just like stuff. I love stuff. Feircly.
- I sometimes get a bit emotional and take it personally when people aren’t as passionate as me. I’m learning to cope with that. Cope with, not change. I don’t want to change it.
- I was born in Croydon
- I like beards. Neat ones. Well groomed ones.
- I prefer the sunset over the sunrise. I’m a night owl, not a morning person at all. Yuck!
- I hate my bedroom. Actual hate.
- I’m not afraid of snakes. I like them. Bloody hate spiders though.
- I like green tea. And everyday tea. And breakfast tea. And Chai. But daily, I drink Assam.
- I can pick out about a million flaws in my selfies or other pictures of me but I don’t want my kids to have body issues or hangups so I post them anyway. I just cringe in silence.
- Also, I think it’s important that if I die, they have pictures of me. Looking how they saw me every day. Not filtered to fuck and only my ‘best side’ – whatever that is.
- I have to pee right now. But I need to get this post ready.
- I didn’t know I was pregnant until 21 weeks with my first. Nope. No clue.
- When I’m trying not to swear… Ah Fuck it, Who am I trying to kid…? I swear all the time.
- I have freckles.
- I want pet chickens. Again. They make awesome pets and have funny personalities.
- I dislike the wind (unless I’m flying kite.)
- But I love the rain. I have been known to strip down to just a vest top while out walking in it and get absolutely drenched to the core.
- I’ve had 5 piercings.
- I’m the oldest of 7 children.
- I sing and dance obnoxiously when I’m home alone.
- I prefer silver over gold.
- I prefer emeralds over diamonds.
- I often go against the crowd. I had rainbow hair about 5 or 6 years ago… before the world was obsessed with unicorns pineapples and flamingoes and shit.
- But I do love succulents.
- I got married in cowboy boots.
- I don’t own a swimming costume. I can move from one point of water to another but I would not call it swimming!
- The last highlighter I used was pink.
- I used to know the first three ballet positions. But I never went to ballet lessons.
- I miss my grand-dad. Whole heaps. He’d really bloody love my kids!
- I hate washing up.
- My favourite smell is the one you get from the box when you get the Christmas decorations out of the loft. Breathe it in.
- I can line dance. I’ve actually taught people to line dance too.
- Full-fat coke is better than full-fat Pepsi.
- But Pepsi Max is better than Diet Coke or Coke Zero.
- I’m in way too many facebook groups. I can barely keep track.
- I play with my belly button. Gross right?
- Knees and fingernails make me cringe. Just don’t.
- I believe in love at first sight.
- This is already too long. So I’m ending it here
- Or maybe.. here.
- Give me 3 facts about yourself in the comments! Or tell me what your personal challenge is. Also, wish me luck with this!
A few days after writing this post, I wanted to test out my new camera for it’s vlogging capabilities. I had no particular vlog material I wanted to film so I did a video version of this post. If you wanna relive everything you’ve just read and have me tell it to you in person, just hit play! xx
*This post has been day 1 of #Blogtober – A ‘blog-post-a-day’ challenge. Check out Day 2: 7 things you probably didn’t know about having a baby here.*
*You can also check out other bloggers posts in the Blogtober 17 linky*
I LOVE this post!! Love that got got hitched in cowboy boots and WOW to not knowing you were pregnant until then with your 1st!!!
Haha, it was a bit of a shock but totally exciting!
Bloody love this! Argh I hate odd socks, I’d rather go without 😀 I also prefer silver and totally agree with the Coke/Pepsi bit. I need to get over my hatred of selfies, you make a good point that the kids might pick up on it and I hadn’t thought of it like that! #Blogtober17
To be fair, I’ve hardly worn socks at all over the last month. Now I have my new red boots though I’ll just bung on the first two socks I grab lol. And yeah, the selfies thing… Fake confidence. Haha
I love this post! I’m with you on Christmas although I’m not allowed to put the tree up until 12 days before Christmas #spoilsports – the rest of the house gets decorated looooong before that though ha!
Oh, I’m a total Christmas obsessive!! Hahaha It’s one of the things I’m known for!
I wear odd socks too. I ask my husband for unusual socks for Christmas and then pair them up in as unique ways as I can manage. It drives him nuts and always gets me some comments when I take my shoes off in someones house. It’s funny how people often either hate or love odd socks.
Yes!!! I do this too! Haha
Love this post, I am often found wearing odd socks as well, but how can you not wear flip flops I live in them as soon as the weather gets warm enough and still had mine on one day last week. My daughters favourite colour is green as well x
They just irritate me between my toes hahaha
Totally with you on the odd socks thing!!! My youngest son has the eye changing thing too it’s weird but awesome!!! #Blogtober17
Haha it’s totally cool. They normally go green when I’m super emotional haha
Obnoxious dancing has left the funniest image of you in my head! And oh dear that poor succulent! #blogtober17
Oh I really go for it. It’s quite a sight to behold lol
This made me chuckle…It’s lovely to get to know you.
I always wear odd socks. It’s so much easier than trying to find a pair in this house. lol
Totally! Who has time for matching socks?
Why on Earth do you hate your bedroom? Brilliant post, by the way. X
It’s tiny. There is absolutely no room for furniture and it’s got an ensuite which you’d think is nice but they could’ve just had a room you can walk around in. There’s another bathroom so the ensuite isn’t needed. It’s a complete waste of space. Very poor design.
You’ll have fun taking part, last year was great! Although they’ll be days when it is 11.30 at night and you haven’t posted!
I love the list and the fact you have a cabbage tattoo! That is pretty awesome, beats mine =)
Hahaha I don’t know anyone else with a cabbage tattoo. What have you got?
Love this. I to love christmas, we have to have new christmas pj’s to wear every christmas eve and i put the tree up as early as i can possibly get away with it. I too am always wearing odd socks. Who has time for finding all the missing ones and pairing them back up.
Exactly! Life is way too short to pair socks
I am an 80s child. 80s music is the best.
It really is! Ahhhhhhhhhhh Viennnaaaaaaa!!
Oh I am so with you on the loving stuff! I’m an all in kind of person too – I don’t like stuff, I LOVE stuff to obsession! Pretty fickle with it though, so it fades and I move on to something else, ha!
Yeah, I’m always worried I’m being super annoying so I try and curb my enthusiasm and then it just fades after a while. But I don’t like that. I love loving stuff!
What a great post! Oh I so wish I was allowed to put the tree up in November! I have to make do with buying xmas pressies and getting other things organised before then 🙂
Just do it! Who’s the boss? You are! I do mine when the coca cola advert airs. It’s officially Christmas then!
I’m trying this challenge too, heres hoping I complete it haha.
And to you! I know I’ll at least make it to day 5 as I’ve already started on those posts lol
I love all your facts, haha. It’s funny you wear odd socks. I am pretty much the opposite as I only wear black socks. I can’t guarantee it’s from the same pair but it doesn’t matter as no one can really tell (unless you’re close enough to see subtle differences in stitching and slightly colour differences from different shops but then if you’re that close then we need to have a chat haha)x
Hahaha I’m the same, not even my black socks match!
Why a cabbage I figured a cabbage mush have a good story behind it.
Nobody normally asks, they just sort of accept that I’m weird, Haha! Kabbage was my sister nickname for years, It evolved from Kay-Bitch (Her name was Kay and Like most siblings, we bickered a lot.) But she died 7 years ago last month from an epileptic fit and I had the tattoo done in her memory. My mum has one too
I love this post! Though I can’t be on board with the Christmas thing… Decorations aren’t up until after the 5th in this house! 3 facts about me… I am scared of butterflies – they are horrible creatures. I try not to swear online but if you met me in the real world you probably wouldn’t believe that as every other word is a swearword and I love the smell of books, new, old, I don’t care, that smell takes me to my happy place! My challenge is to complete Blogtober too!
Ohh books are a good smell. A top 10 smell I think. After Christmas decorations, roast dinner, fresh rain and leather. Butterflies are so pretty though, no? Good luck with blogtober!
Ahh, I can’t stand wearing odd socks, my husband does it and it drives me bonkers! I’m also a Christmas lover, although I have to wait until first day of December to put up the decs, we have started on the shopping though!
My personal goal for the year is to be ‘happy by Christmas’ – I’ve been struggling with mental health issues for two years now and am finally seeing a good psychiatrist who says working with him should mean I’ll be back to ‘normal’ in 8 weeks! Wish me luck!
Oh good luck with that! I hope it works for you. That’s a good goal to have. Christmas is a magical time, isn’t it?
I love this post. There are so many things I agree with you on, such as manners, Christmas obsessions. And so many I don’t – I hate Pepsi and odd socks!
I used to hate Pepsi. It was coke all the way for me but I’ve weakened with age.
I love this post and want it to keep going! three facts about me I wear false toenails because mine are horrible and no one in my life actually has ever discovered this so I would never share it on my blog! I never think I’m good enough and when I read my blog I cringe but carry on writing because I love it, my mouth waters at the smell of bleach and the swimming pool there is something about it that makes me want to smell it over and over weird I know can’t wait to read the rest of your #blogtober posts great to get to know you a bit better 🙂
Wow! False toenails??? I did not even know they were a thing! Haha that’s so funny. I love it!
I’m exactly the same with my blog. I read some other peoples stuff and I’m in awe of their writing styles and long words and then I’m here like Sweary McPottymouth with not the best grammar and just making it up as I go along, but like you, I love it, so I keep writing! Ahh yeah, chlorine is a great smell! I might write a post of my top 10 smells! Haha
I loved this but Christmas decs only go up the week before Christmas here. My son hates change so it’s a gradual process. I love Christmas though and we go all out every year x
There’s something magical about it isn’t there! Like in the air, you can feel it 🙂
I was starting to think you were me until I got to the beards – I’m terrified of beards! Good luck with the challenge
Oh no, I love them. Only tidy ones though.
Love this, you are so funny! I used to wear odd socks because I wanted to be like Punky Brewster. Do you remember that show? You must do if you’re an 80s child! x
Ha, I’ve never even heard of it! I had to just google it and then watched the intro on youtube. I wish I’d watched that as a kid!
I couldn’t love this post more if I tried! I especially love what you wrote about wanting to set the right example for your kids by not letting them see you scrutinize every detail in a selfie etc. Good for you, mama! <3 #blogtober17
Awww haha thank you 🙂
This is a great list! I was a child in the 80s, too. You made a good point about selfies, I think I need to be in more photos! #blogtober17
Yes! Be in the shot! Embrace the selfie!
Fab post – I love how much you identified with the Sound of Music kids 🙂 #Blogtober
Yep, just call me Leisl 🙂
Thankyou so much for joining in! Love all these facts about you, my daughter always wears odd socks, I wonder if its the eldest of seven children thing!! I have to disagree, I prefer Pepsi over Coke, as you know from reading my post, we have 20 chickens, and we are going to be getting a puppy soon (but it’s a secret at the moment!) and I also have eyes that change between green and brown x Looking forward to finding out more x
The eyes thing is cool! And as for the socks, maybe it’s some kind of subconscious rebellion
Well hello fellow odd sock wearer! I blooming love odd socks! Love this post. #blogtober17
Can’t beat them! Who’s got time for matching socks?
Loved reading this haha. I can get quite fed up reading long posts but enjoyed this lots (fact 1… sorted) I too can move in water… definately isn’t classed in the definition of swimming (fact 2) and random fact 3 I can remember all the words to Jamelia’s superstar but can’t remember where I put my bloody keys!
Haha Ah well you see, you’re better than me already, because I would never have remembered it was Jamelia that even sung Superstar!
Haha! I think we’re weird twins. I have green eyes that get very green when I’m emotional (angry/crying) or sort of muddy brown other times. I have way too many freckles, I love Christmas – I still miss my grandad and he died over 20 years ago… I could go on, but this is about you. Looooved it! #blogtober17
Haha that’s funny! Isn’t it strange that eyes can change colour?!My grandad died about 15 years ago but I think the older I get, the more I miss him.
Ok, out of all of that, the question that I really need to know the answer to is: Why do you have a cabbage tattoo on your wrist?
I have my oldest son’s name on my right shoulder. 🙂
Hahaha sparks a lot of questions, does that! My sister’s name was Kay. We bickered a lot like most siblings and I called her Kay-Bitch which evolved into Kabbage and became her nickname. When she died, I got the tattoo in her memory. It had to be a cabbage. Nothing else would’ve been right.